the

the

Thursday 2 December 2010

Some people say that I'm a bloody idiot, but I'm not the only one. The beginning of the Alex Spencer and Friends Christmas event

As it felt correct for me to wear two parts of a three piece suit all day whilst reading a book about a father and son who own a sartorial proclivity for rags, it feels only proper that I should now write a blog entry paying homage to my love of food given that the aforementioned book was also fairly keen on detailing the fact that the same father and son duo are starving. 

Empathy, who needs it? Not androids, hey Sci Fi fans and followers of the early eighties film industry ..............I’m trying to appeal to your followers Alex, is it working?  I’m not great with pop culture references, sorry.  



Christmas, who needs it? Not turkeys. Oh yeah, and I’m back in the gastronomic joke telling game. Foodwise, Christmas perplexes me. Like most festivals, food is central to Christmas, yet I feel as though most of the things that we eat on Christmas day (at least in my family) are not as good as the food we eat on the days around Christmas. This presents me with a problem, given that Christmas day cannot be Christmas day without its central foods-- In the same way Catholics must perform their sacraments so as to enter heaven, it seems as though we must eat a central set of foods so as to have experienced a Christmas day. Thus over the next week or so, as Part of the Alex Spencer and Friends Christmas event,  I am going to try and find new ways to eat seven of Christmas Day’s  most important foods (whilst aiming to maintain their integral Christmasness), in what I am grandly calling Lunch & Dinner Made Me’s Seven (not entirely serious) Christmas Sacraments.  And here are the Seven Sacraments


  1. Sprouts
  2. Turkey
  3. Stuffing
  4. Christmas Pudding
  5. Rum Butter
  6. Pigs in Blankets
  7. Bread sauce

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment