the

the

Tuesday 19 October 2010

Some thoughts about cheese on toast (and a blurred photograph)

With the onset of cold weather here in Birmingham leaving my mind generally on sustaining and reassuring foods, I had intended to post a few pictures of, and thoughts about, cheese on toast, but unfortunately circumstance has intervened. The circumstance in this instance being that I’m a bit of klutz and took some pictures that appear to be of bread shaped blurs.




 All I will say on the subject is that I like very deep slices of barely toasted white bread (so that the centre is still fairly well bread), something saucy and a bit fiery (along the lines of mustard, chutney, Worcestershire sauce or Tabasco) either on top of or underneath the cheese (this latter is my current favoured method for the sauce merges nicely with both the bread and the cheese), and a cheese strongly flavoured enough that it can stand its own against any sauce element and which is also quite soft (such as blue stilton or brie), as I find that these give a really nice crisp edge whilst maintaining a gooey centre.

In the coming days I will focus my thoughts about a recent meal that my girlfriend and I very much enjoyed at Fergus Henderson’s (the man with the pig bits below) Spitalfields restaurant-- St John Bread and Wine


No comments:

Post a Comment